Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Somewhere, Beyond the Sea!

I've felt the need to watch faintly British movies lately. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I think Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright, and a little t.v. show named Spaced might have something to do with it. As a part of this need I've watched 28 Days Later again. The funny thing about this movie is that I found it completely terrifiyng the first couple of times I watched it, but this time I found it more interesting than frightening. I think what made the difference this time is that I realized that even though the movie was seemingly the resurgence of the zombie movie, the "monsters" are not really monsters at all, they're people, just fueled on rage and adrenaline. It's funny how the thin line between rage infected humans and supernatural, undead, humans makes one feel more at ease while watching the movie.

On a seemingly unrelated note I've also found it quite entertaining to watch the new episodes of Unsolved Mysteries with the new host Dennis Farina (Snatch). Sound odd? Well it is. Why the producers of the show would go for such an odd stick is a little mind boggling. For starters the original host, Robert Stack (BASEketball), was creepy as hell. I mean Christopher Walken (Pulp Fiction, Sleepy Hallow) creepy. But this new guy, well he just doesn't seem to believe in what he is doing. Good old Robbie always had a semblence of belief in his creepy monotone, but Farina with his New York, wise guy accent seems less than enthused about the subject material. Now maybe I'm just typecasting the poor guy, but come on now.

Now, back to the real subject of this post. The point of mentioning both of these things is that they both portray people isolated or on the run, people who have or can disappear. 28 Days Later is pretty obvious in it's isolation, but Unsolved Mysteries, as a "variety" show, only contains stories of this sort from time to time. However, there are many stories that I have seen amongst the murder mysteries, the ghost stories, and alien abductions that investigate cases of disappearances. Now, you may ask "What the hell is Jon getting at?" and even more likely you may say, "get to the point already!" Well, here we go.

Okay, so since I've watched all of these things lately it has been making me think that I might want to just disappear, uproot and leave without a trace. The idea does have a certain appeal: the ability to travel the world, escape everyday troubles, and forget all the grown-up responsibilities of life. My buddy has recently mentioned a roadtrip to Maine, which is close enough to Newfoundland, and I'm sure it has it's more isolated spots. It would be a great little spot to grab a cottage and just forget about everything.

Don't get too excited, I definitely wouldn't do that at this point in my life. Maybe a few years ago before I had the responsibilites I do now, but I know I wouldn't be able to leave my daughter. These thoughts were just the postulations of a man in an odd situation, trying ot sort out what would be the best in my life. Right now I have a beautiful daughter, a supporting family, and great friends, I don't think I would throw that away.

Well, enough of this nonsense,
Over and Out,

Jon

No comments: