Tuesday, May 09, 2006

"I'm tired of screwing up, I'm tired of goin' down, I'm tired of myself, I'm tired of this towN"

Long time, no see.

A lot has happened since I last left you. I guess first in foremost is that I am now trudging along back in school. My term will last me from May 8 to August 10 (?) so basically my whole summer is wasted inside crowdy, overly hot, classrooms trying to concentrate on things that really are not that interesting. The only upside is that this may possibly be the last term I ever have to be in school. That's right, I will be a working slob instead of a poor student soon enough (though I'm sure to be pretty poor then too, just working more to dwindle all my money away). But, I'm sure that the summer won't be so bad. As much as I hate being in school during this time of the year, the course that I will be doing have presented themselves as more interesting than I imagined. As well, I have two weddings to attend and a couple of road trips planned (road trip to the cabin right Steve?) so it should be okay.

Next up, my car is shot. yeah the transmission is kaput. Which means all I get to do is go to school, go to work, and then go home! Argh! It's very frustrating. Kate and I don't really get to see each other, but our schedules were pretty opposite this week anyway.

In more positive news, I'm going to be coming into some money soon. Between student loans, pay, and income tax, I'll have a fair bit o' money to spread around. Mostly this will be put to the task of clearing up some of my debt! Woohoo! But I am going to be buying 3 DVDs (to close down one of my Columbia House accounts), probably the new Tool CD, and either the new Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD, or a couple from those 2 for 30 specials you see everywhere now-a-days! Exciting times! Also, I got my story back from the Arts and Letters competition. Though it doesn't tell me if I have won anything or not there were some very good comments left on it by the Adjudicator who read it. Something along the lines of wanting to read more of my work. It is pretty kick ass, and I am sort of proud of myself. It certainly gives me a bit more confidence in my writing abilities. Since then I've been trying to write like crazy, though school has been getting in the way a little lately! Now, if I manage to somehow win the competition then I will get an extra 750 for my piggy bank which will make it all the better!!

I watched King Kong recently. Though it was a little long I liked it. I really liked the way they protrayed Kong. However, I have never seen the first one (which is supposedly much better) so I can't judge and I never had the let down of the movie not living up to the first one. I did have some Lord of the Rings flashbacks though, especially in the slow motion shots Petey used, and the way the Skull Islanders looked (very reminiscent of Orcs or Goblins from the movies)! Next movie that is up is Walk the Line if my car is ever fixed and I can make it over to Kate's. It is supposedly as good as "Ray" so I am looking forward to checking it out.

Alright, before I go, I have to give some congrats to Chuck for getting into his Master's program! Way to go man; proud of ya. And he's moving out... remember to make my extra key dude! lol
That's it for me,

Catch ya on the Flipside,

Jondre the Giant


**May 11, 2006 EDIT**

Hey,

Just found out that if I had won the Arts and Letters Competition I would have found out about it weeks ago (in order for them to get my permission to read some it out loud) and they probably would've told me when the competition started on saturday (which they havn't even though I've e-mailed them)!
Just thought you would like to know.

Jondre

5 comments:

SteveTP said...

Walk the Line was MUCH MUCH better than Ray ;) You'll dig it i figure.

The skull Island stuff in Kong was wicked, but i just lost interest when the story shifted to New York. Check out the original, i do think Pete's version was a little more epic, and for the love of god you really need to wrap your head around the filmmaking of the 1930's to appreciate the effects (which look horrible by today's standards). If you can do that, then i highly recommend checking it out. Fun fact time: Merian Cooper's King Kong was Adolf Hitler's favorite movie, and for a time he actually owned all rights to the film.

Cabin run soon... oh yes!

Jondre the GianT: said...

Awesome man.. I'll have to check those things out! Ya can always count on Steve with the movie knowledge.

Steve? Did you ever see/hear of the show "Beat the Geeks" (It came on the comedy channel for a little while) I think you would have a good chance of stumping the Movie Geek, perhaps even usurping him! Muhahahaha.

SteveTP said...

Man that'd be sweet! :)

I'm much cooler than he is too ;) I have style!

Jondre the GianT: said...

Yeah, he was a bit of a loser... but then again the show was called "Beat the Geek"!

kevin said...

Jon old man, sign up for WANL if you get a chance and have a few bucks for membership. they have a great newsletter with writing and publishing tips and the occassional contest. They have one on right now ($5,000 for an unpublished writer), but you have to be a member and manuscripts are due on Sunday. I only found out yesturday or else i would have entered and told you about it earlier. blah..